Climate Change: Chennai Earth Talk
“Complete darkness, smoke everywhere, sweltering heat and torrential rains. An Apocalypse- and the end of the world as we know it” – An Earth Talk was delivered at MOP Vaishnav College for Women, Chennai by Anagha Natraj on July 23rd,2015.
The talk focused on Climate change and global warming. “In a few years, most of Bangladesh will be in water, and India will consequently be affected because of a refugee crisis” – citing similar examples, the talk centered around various topics of current relevance. Rising sea levels, pollution (With Chennai being named as the most polluted city, this was a must!), alternative sources of energy, and what people, as individuals can do to help save the environment.
These topics were thoroughly discussed:
– Turning off lights and fans when not in use
– Using Public Transport
– Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
– Tried to propagate the “One person, One Tree” thought
The talk also called upon the Environment Ministry of the college to take more initiatives for a greener campus.
From using Paper cups instead of plastic glasses at the juice stall to planting more trees, various issues were addressed. The Audience were very receptive and many reverted with positive feedback. Plans for a Plantation drive is underway by the Chennai team of EARTH5R and many MOP students are expected to participate.
Anagha, this is a job well done. This is indeed a proof to the fact, one person can make a difference!
Report by Anagha Natraj
- Can one person make a difference? Chennai Earth Talk on Climate Change
- EARTHTALK ON CLIMATE CHANGE BY EARTH5R AT VANI VIDYALAYA HIGHER SECONDARY SCHOOL, CHENNAI
- AIR POLLUTION IN INDIA: AN EARTH TALK BY EARTH5R AT ST. JOSEPH’S COLLEGE, BANGALORE
- Cleaning up Marina Beach in Chennai
- Educating Bangalore shopkeepers on Plastic Pollution by Earth5R