The world is facing threat in all three dimensions of sustainable development – economic, social andenvironmental.
Achieving sustainable development requires a systematic approach that must begin at the grassroots level. Therefore, there is an urgent need for action at the local level through collaboration which will lead to global transformation.
France has wide margins of progress on circular economy. The recycling rate for household and similar waste in 2014 was 39%, a much lower rate than in neighboring Germany (65%) and Belgium (50%). The remaining half consists of organic waste is incinerated or landfilled which generates local nuisance and a waste energy incompatible with our climate targets.
On the plastic collection rates leveled, 20% of plastic packages are effectively recycled as the European average is 30%.
The A.C.T. Project focuses on transforming communities to zero waste, reduce poverty and support self-sustained ecosystems by breaking the cycle of ever-increasing waste and empowering marginalised communities.
The 5R approach of Earth5R:
- Recognize we have a natural capital crisis
- Support behaviour change away from a throwaway society – there is no away and we are resource challenged.
- Educate Green minds and hearts in discouraging littering and implementing waste segregation
- Standardise global decentralised program with a focus on composting and at source separation.
- Support plan on banning single-use plastics through Policy tools ( bans, taxes & EPR), Science (with www.plasticsinsociety.global hub and through education program like upcycling workshops
- Process organic materials at localized building level into compost.
- Collect, segregate, recover and utilize where possible inorganic waste including Hazmat and ewaste.
- Differentiate the strategy of downcycling and reducing linear greenwash programs to a true circular economy approach.
- Restore and protect natural capital with holistic large-scale cleanups, plantation programs, urban gardening and support on enforcement.
KEY ACTIVITIES UNDER THE PROJECT
- Research & Gap analysis.
- Identifying buildings, businesses, institutions, stakeholders and butterfly communities in pilot programs.
- Project Planning and Management.
- Educating and training citizens about eco-preneurship and the circular economy
- Hands-on workshops for citizens on waste management.
- Set up decentralised waste management processes and equipment in buildings + butterfly communities.
- Upcycling and Downcycling of waste under the Zero Waste program.
- Management of SWM systems and equipment in buildings and butterfly communities through regular cleaning + inspection creating green jobs.
- Citizen Volunteering and Employee Engagement (CSR) programs on Cleanliness and Plantation drives.
- Documentation and data collection of the waste produced, reduced, up-cycled or/and downcycled.
- Rendering other green services with the by-products of waste processing – eg urban gardening using the compost produced through organic waste management.
- Empowering local civic organisations and communities to be self-sufficient so they can enter the sustainability phase of the project.
- Monitoring, Evaluation + Documentation.
PARIS: CURRENT ISSUES
- Atmospheric pollution level in Paris has surpassed the safe limit.
- Only 19% of waste is recycled while 79% is incinerated and 2% ends up in landfills.
- There is only 5,8m2 of green area per habitant.
- 170 500 People in Paris are unemployed.
PARIS: PROPOSED SOLUTION
- Managing Compostable waste in a more decentralised manner instead of dumping in landfills.
- Recycling / upcycling of recyclable waste instead of diverting it to landfills.
- Creating employment opportunities for underprivileged society in a privileged community using creative waste management.
- Preventing further formation of landfills and incineration to improve the environment of the city.
ACT PARIS IN A NUTSHELL
- Cleaning up of the local ecosystem.
- Decentralised Waste Management program.
- Livelihood & Entrepreneurship Training.
- Promoting and boosting Circular Economy.
- Urban gardening and tree plantation.
- Helping businesses in the local area to reduce Carbon Footprint.
ACT PARIS PROJECT STAGES
- Identification of the geographic location, including waste prone locations.
- Identification of beneficiary buildings, businesses, institutions, stakeholders and communities.
- Research and Gap analysis.
- Building Project Scope, Project Charter and Project Plan.
BUILDING STAKEHOLDERS NETWORK
- Building partnership with local colleges and youth organisations.
- Building partnership with Civil organisations- NGOs, Rotaract, Citizens associations etc Building partnership with local municipality stakeholders.
- Identifying recyclers operating in the local area.
- Identifying few men and women who want to become ecopreneurs and sell handicrafts in their network of influence.
- Team building (4-5 members from different sectors: general volunteering, product design, content, etc in each team lead by the intern)
- Identifying sponsors and CSR investors who would want to create value through this project.
- Creating Work breakdown structure.
ACTION TOWARDS ZERO WASTE AND REDUCING POVERTY THROUGH WASTE MANAGEMENT
- Planning and publishing calendar for Clean up activities Announcements to build supporters for cleanup.
- Finding CSR and Marketing sponsors to support the program.
- Conducting cleanup programs, followed by segregation and giving away waste for recycling.
- Building partnership campaigns for non-recyclable multi-layer packaging at certain collection points like college, business canteens.
- Publishing reports in Earth Journal and social media for awareness.
- Training schools, residential buildings and local businesses in waste management techniques and how to become zero waste.
- Training communities in home based composting techniques in order to move towards zero waste, hygiene and cleanliness.
INCREASING GREEN COVER AND IMPROVING THE QUALITY OF SOIL THROUGH COMPOST
- Identifying land, sponsor and other resources for plantation.
- Planning and conducting Plantation drives in partnership with building residents, civic organisations, institutions, colleges and schools and corporates.
- Publishing reports for building awareness.
- Decentralisation of solid waste management – composting of organic waste at household and community/society level
- The community held training for organic waste composting and provision of composting units.
- Formation of local Parisien team as Earth5R ambassadors
- Earth5R provides training to these ambassadors with a plan of action
- Each ambassador develops a team of volunteers and heroes
- Volunteers involve citizens, civic organisation, communities, corporations, institutes, colleges, govt. Bodies, etc.
- Recovered recyclable solid waste is diverted to recyclers and Innovative managing body to provide the skill to generate employment within butterfly communities.