Environmental News from Europe:
- Blaze near Athens as hundreds evacuated
- Hundreds flee in Tuscany as fire-hit gas tanks explode
- Step up climate fight, UK warned, after the hottest day
- New power use records are expected in parts of the Central U.S.
- China braces for new heatwave; it could last well into August
Emergency services battled wildfires across swathes of southern Europe amid mass evacuations on Wednesday, as warnings sounded in London after Britain’s hottest day that the fight against climate change needed to be stepped up.
A blaze fuelled by gale-force winds raged in the mountains north of Athens, forcing hundreds, including hospital patients, to evacuate, and similar numbers fled in central Italy as gas tanks caught in a forest fire near the Tuscan town of Lucca exploded.
A brutal heatwave settled over southern Europe last week, part of a…
To read more, download the Earth5R app using the link below