As the COVID-19 pandemic increased exponentially across the globe threatening lives and uprooting the economy of cities and nations, it also had a major impact on the environment. In a matter of a few months, the world has transformed its way of living.
As Work from Home becomes the new norm, 23% of carbon emissions have dropped globally just because of a decrease in transportation.
But that’s not all! Here are few other positive as well as negative impacts the COVID-19 pandemic has brought to the environment
POSITIVE IMPACTS OF THE PANDEMIC ON THE ENVIRONMENT
- DWINDLING AIR POLLUTION
Pollution dwindling in Wuhan during the corona virus pandemic (NASA)
- According to WHO, 4.6 million people die each year directly due to air pollution. However, after the two-week lockdown in China, NASA scientists monitoring pollution satellites observed a decrease in air pollution.
- A drop of 25% in carbon dioxide emissions along with 40% in nitrogen oxide emissions was observed. Similar changes have been observed in Italy during the self-isolation period.
- Energy-related CO2 emissions in India is on track with value 1.8 as per SDG report 2020
- In India, apart from CO2 emissions, particulate matter concentration PM2.5 has been increasing thus not keeping in check with SDG goals as per the report published in the year 2020.
CAUSES OF REDUCED AIR POLLUTION LEVELS
- Air quality improved largely because of…
To read more, download the Earth5R app using the link below
Reported by Radhika Mehta, Edited by Mehfil Mubarak