Even though their ultimate goals might be similar, to save the eco-systems or the planet from destruction, not every environmental activist tries to achieve the goal in the same manner.
Knowing these types of environmentalism allows you to follow your beliefs and save the planet simultaneously.
Who is an Environmentalist?
An environmentalist is a person who is concerned with and/or advocates for the protection of the environment. An environmentalist can be considered a supporter of the environmental movement’s goals, “a political and ethical movement that seeks to improve and protect the quality of the natural environment through changes to environmentally harmful human activities.” An environmentalist is engaged in or believes in the philosophy of environmentalism or one of the related philosophies.
How can you become an Environmentalist?
If you wish to be a professional environmentalist, you must first attain the education and training qualifications. Environmentalists will mostly major in chemistry, biology, environmental science, entomology, urban planning, agriculture, etc.
How to be an Environmentalist every day?
Not having a degree or a job as a professional environmentalist doesn’t mean you can’t protect nature. Everyone can become an environmentalist in small ways. What matters most is the end goal – protecting our beloved environment and its inhabitants for us and future generations.
What are the types of environmentalists?
The environmental movement contains many subcommunities that have developed with different approaches and philosophies in other parts of the world. Environmentalists can be described as one of the following:
Environmentalism is as diverse as the ecosystems it seeks to protect. In every corner of the globe, from bustling cities to tranquil villages, people are making a stand for our planet in their own unique way. Let’s take a whimsical walk through these different eco-tribes and celebrate their quirks, qualities, and green quests:
- The Recycle Ringleader
Dedicated to the art of converting waste into wonder, the Recycle Ringleader perceives the potential in every discarded item. From last week’s newspapers to that decades-old soda can, they ensure that reusable items get a second life rather than being doomed to a landfill existence.
- Identifying Features: Always spotted with a recyclable tote bag, multi-compartment trash bins, and a disapproving look when they see a plastic bottle.
- Natural Habitat: Recycling centers, littered beaches (cleaning up, of course).
- Did You Know? They’ve successfully recycled enough material to build a life-sized replica of the Eiffel Tower. Twice.
- The Vegan Vanguard
For the Vegan Vanguard, every meal is a mission. Devoted to a world where every creature is treated with kindness, they’ve traded dairy for almond milk and burgers for beetroot patties, all in the quest for a more compassionate world.
- Identifying Features: “Is that vegan?” is their mantra, and they’ll wear faux-leather shoes while munching on their kale salad.
- Natural Habitat: Vegan cafes, farmers markets, and animal sanctuaries.
- Quirky Fact: In a lifetime, they save approximately 1,100 trees, 14,600 pounds of grain, 7,300 pounds of CO2, and 401,500 gallons of water.
- The Carbon Footprint Counter
With a passion for math and a heart for the Earth, the Carbon Footprint Counter combines statistics with sustainability. They know that saving our planet begins with understanding our impact, and they’re here to do the calculations—even if it means telling you the carbon cost of your avocado toast.
- Identifying Features: Never seen without their eco-friendly calculator and a keen ability to estimate how many trees it took to produce your latest online shopping spree.
- Natural Habitat: Behind their low-energy-consuming laptop, analyzing your carbon footprint.
- Fascinating Stat: They’ve persuaded enough people to reduce their carbon footprints equivalent to taking 10,000 cars off the road!
- The Thrift Shop Thriller
Eco-consciousness meets vintage chic with the Thrift Shop Thriller. They have an eagle eye for hidden gems and see thrift shopping as a double win: promoting sustainable fashion while scoring a killer outfit.
- Identifying Features: Rocking a 70’s jacket, 80’s sunglasses, and 90’s jeans, all sourced from thrift stores. Reduce, reuse, retro!
- Natural Habitat: Antique shops, thrift stores, and your grandma’s attic.
- Amazing Data: By thrifting, they’ve prevented at least 50 tons of clothing from going into landfills each year.
- The Renewable Energy Evangelist
Harnessing nature’s abundant power is the mantra of the Renewable Energy Evangelist. Whether it’s the sun, wind, or geothermal depths, they see a battery in every natural occurrence and are the first to declare the virtues of clean, green power to anyone in earshot.
- Identifying Features: Solar panel sunglasses, wind turbine hats, and geothermal shoes.
- Natural Habitat: Solar farms, windmill sites, and community seminars preaching the gospel of green energy.
- Cool Stat: Their advocacy efforts have helped in converting enough energy to power a small country.
- The Bicycle Buff
Zipping through traffic, breathing in fresh air, and leaving only tire tracks behind, the Bicycle Buff is all about pedal power. They’re not just about reducing emissions; they’re on a journey for a fitter body and a cleaner planet.
- Identifying Features: Helmet hair, toned calves, and an innate ability to discuss the benefits of cycling at length.
- Natural Habitat: Bike lanes, cycle shops, and uphill terrains.
- Cycling Factoid: By choosing to bike, they’ve spared the atmosphere from approximately 250g of CO2 for every kilometer!
- The Zero-Waste Warrior
With a heart as full as their trash bin is empty, the Zero-Waste Warrior is on a crusade against disposables. Every morsel of waste is a challenge to them, and they’ve perfected the art of living with minimal wastage, proving that less really can be more.
- Identifying Features: Beeswax wraps, cloth napkins, and an uncanny skill to fit an entire year’s worth of trash into a tiny mason jar.
- Natural Habitat: Bulk stores, compost pits, and DIY workshops.
- Jarring Fact: They’ve reduced landfill waste by 1,500 pounds a year, the equivalent weight of a giraffe!
- The Nature Nurturer
These green-thumbed gurus believe in the therapeutic power of Mother Earth. For them, planting a tree is as rejuvenating as a spa day, and a walk in the woods is equivalent to a therapy session. They remind us of our deep-rooted connection to the environment.
- Identifying Features: Birkenstocks, a flower crown, and an intrinsic ability to speak fluent bird and squirrel.
- Natural Habitat: Forests, meadows, and community gardens, hugging a tree (literally).
- Whimsical Wisdom: If trees produced Wi-Fi instead of oxygen, we’d plant more. Too bad we only need oxygen to breathe!
In wrapping up this jovial journey, remember that every shade of green contributes to a brighter, more sustainable future. So, wherever you find yourself on this spectrum, there’s a planet grateful for your efforts. Keep being green and keen!
To read more, download the Earth5R app using the link below